Crystal Ski operate in more than 130 resorts worldwide and is one of the largest Ski Tour Operators in the world.
Crystal asked us to deliver a mobile experience that gave their customers easy access to all their required holiday information from the moment they book to their return journey, all in a ‘one stop shop’. They needed all 130+ resorts catalogued, covering everything from custom Geo-location to group messaging and booking management.
- Our team were faced with the challenge of:
- Ensuring that the data for 130+ resorts is presented on the app in an effective and logical way.
- Creating a ‘Find my Friends’ system, which allows users to locate friends & family in real time on the mountainside.
- Display recommended routes in graphical format as overlays on the piste map showing the best routes around the mountainside.
- Perform ad hoc distance calculations on any given point to point location. Giving skiers dynamic route planning.
What we did
Obviously the first step was a fully loaded Ski holiday to understand what Crystal were offering. Once we recovered from the skiing injuries and bruised egos we set to work designing a fully bespoke cross platform solution that incorporated everything required.
This particular app offered many unique challenges. Perhaps the most rewarding to solve was the dynamic route mapping. We created algorithms to map out the mountainside, allowing users to have a fully featured mountain side sat nav. No mean feat in an area with next to no geo location data.
We developed a sophisticated solution to put all resort data at the users finger tips. Designing the app so that Crystal customers are able to view all the features offline not having to worry about incurring data charges or finding signal whilst on the mountain.
We built a find my friends system that integrates with Facebook, allowing holiday makers to connect with each other in a contextual way.
The geo location solution allowed us to ideate around some new features and we built some custom bolt ons to enhance the basic geo location functionality including: route platter, fastest route, recommended routes and many more.